Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shoppy Stuff

 
This is the new shop toy, its a dewalt band saw with a custom
built frame to support it upright. The table is 3/4" acrylic.
I decided to go with this model because I liked the option of
being able to cut many different materials, as well as the portability,
This thing could fit in my passenger seat if I wanted.
 Cold rolled steel costs so damned much, this is going to be used for the
tow hitch I am fabricating for the fj, should have it finished soon.
 Triple Square bit's. Many Volkswagens have triple square bolts in terrible spots such as the Head Bolts. Imagine tearing a complete engine apart with metric sockets just to find headbolts with these crazy looking things.
 I am going for the younger Geppeto look
This is what my converted third car garage looks like, their is quite a bit more surface area to work with then visible here but all in all I feel quite lucky to have a space like this to call my own.

This here is Hieronymous Bosch, she decided one day that she would live in my garage. I did my best to deter her from staying but when my brother came home for the holidays I noticed she now had a little brown house to be a lazy little monster in.
One of the coolest things ive seen, this is what MoldMax silicon looks like when you put it under a temendous amount of vacuum, as the atmospheric pressure inside the chamber decreases bubbles that would be pin sized under normally pressure balloon until they are big enough that they rise to the surface of the silicon and POP. it is quite incredible to watch.
 
 
 
I recently was asked by a friend of mine to help him cast some custom stands for the Beats By Dre Headphones. For the rapid production we decided to make three silicon molds of the original stand and cast them out of colored Crystal Clear resin by Smooth On. We achieved the different colors by mixing the resin with different combinations of dye's. One very important factor to obtaining a truely crystal clear finish with the resin is that all of the air bubbles have to be removed from the resin before pooring. To accomplish this we needed to build a vaccuum degassing chamber. The yellow reservoir tank was purchased to be used with a vacforming table that is currently being built.
 
 

New mini color gun, definately looking forward to laying down some paint with this, I dislike rattle cans, they are a waste of money and the final product is trash compared to using a high quality automotive paint on pretty much any project. Once you have used a polyurethane paint you quickly dislike most of the enamels often found in spraypaint.

I cut out a sticker on my plotter and now its on my car, YAY
 


I bought one of these to go through and wire up a couple of new circuits. All of this fancy hardware of mine need their own dedicated circuits so I dont burn my house down. (anymore than I already have)

This is a vacforming table I built, it has been updated since this picture, ill take some new ones for you tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment